Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cruisin' On Ocean Boulevard

That will be me this weekend.  Well honestly probably not.  But I WILL be in Myrtle Beach!  I can't wait.  I definitely need a road trip.  Recently Ryan Beaumont of AM Adventures et al and his friend Victoria posted their "visitors guide" and I highly recommend you check it out.  I've been to a lot of those places and they are all great.  This will be a family trip for me so I do not expect to have any amorous misadventures but I can still look at all the eye candy.

People watching at the beach is so much fun!  I get my Cosmo magazine and park my sunglasses just above the top and watch to my heart's content.  Plus everyone else around me is doing the same and it's so fun to hear that everyone else is thinking the same thing I am.  "Why the hell is a 400lb woman wearing a bikini on the beach?"  Yes I know that's so bad and judgmental but I can be a snarky bitch.  And yeah the guys still wearing the Speedo "banana slings" just ew in my little humble opinion.  And why do they always have a hairy back!!  But then the 20-something hottie walks by kicking a soccer ball and you can literally see all the women on the beach sit up a little straighter. It's even more fun watching the men and their wives when the barely legal girls stroll thru.  He's trying hard to avoid drooling and his wife is fuming at him.

My family has been going to Myrtle Beach since I was 13.  Ryan is quite right when he states that it is a "rite of passage" for the kids of our area to go there and sow some wild oats.  Thankfully I grew up in the pre-cell phone/social media/YouTube age or I fear quite a few of my beach exploits would be exposed.  My most memorable trip saw me off from home perfectly healthy and 3 days later I was coming home in 2 casts following an operation.  A car wreck.  Ironically exactly 10 years later on the very same day I was involved in yet another accident..you guessed it..on my way to Myrtle Beach.

MB is touristy, over-crowded, expensive and traffic-filled during the summer but still I love it.  I have so many wonderful memories there.  I was sitting on the deck of my oceanfront room with the bright light of a full moon shining in, the night I signed the contract to buy my 1st house.  I remember settling back in my chair, toasting the moon and feeling like a grown up for the 1st time.  I think all I need is an ocean to make me happy.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun! If you like people watching you need to go down for biker week. You'll see a lot of unique sights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time and drink a few sippies for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah...Myrtle. So many silly teenage memories with my NC cousins... sneaking into clubs, cruising the boulevard...hadn't thought of that in ages! Have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete