Monday, May 12, 2014

Time to Shape Up!

First of all let me preface this by saying that I'm writing this for myself as a way to hold myself accountable.  I have no intention of turning this into a weight loss blog.  If you read further, consider yourself warned.

Now that I am back on somewhat of an even keel being employed and working a more "normal" schedule, it is time to get back in shape.  I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and in the past year, more pounds than I have wanted have crept back on.  I know the reasons for that.  I fell back into some old habits and I got lazy on the exercise front.  Depression had a lot to do with it and just sitting at home all the time, bored and "it's just so easy to hit the fridge rather than the gym."

It's summer now and I have no more excuses!  I know myself and I have never been able to stick to a workout program in the morning.  I have tried in the past and find that I just don't stick with it.  During the time when I was losing the weight, I would exercise in the evening.  I know that if I come home and sit down on the couch--I'm done.   I have to get into my exercise clothes and sneakers right away and get right back out the door.  During high summer when it's very hot out, I attend the free water aerobics classes.  I know some people consider this a rather geriatric activity, however, in our town the classes are run by a former Marine Corps drill instructor.  Not at all geriatric!  This is an excellent way to get in shape and stay cool.

Another fun way I found to lose weight is to dance.  I love it!  I don't know if I'm any good at it and at night on my porch or my room, it doesn't matter.  Just get moving!  I will also incorporate moves from an aerobics tape to the music.  A little $20 MP3 player was the magical "machine" that really jump started my eventual 80 lb. loss a few years ago.   It is fun and I think it's a very good way to keep things interesting.

I know that candy is my weakness and potato chips and breads.  And french fries. And pizza.   I did a very good job of avoiding those foods before.  My rule of thumb was that I'd wait and if I was still craving it after an hour, then I'd go ahead and eat it.  9 times out of 10 the craving would go away.   I'd also wait to eat after I exercised because I would generally "behave".  If I had a good workout, then I didn't want to "waste it" by splurging on a big meal.  Plus exercising on a full stomach in the summer just tends to make me sick.

So here I go again.  I have a short-term goal in mind and know the total amount of weight I'd like to lose. Thankfully it is much less than before.  I know that even with the yo-yoing, I am much healthier now than I was before.

Of course as I sit here and write this, I'm staring down a full bag of Hershey's kisses...ARGHHH!  They are going straight into the breakroom at work tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. You can do it! Today was the 1st day of "being good" for me as well since I've put on a few since my last race and my bathroom scale is taunting me again. Right it all down, food, water, workouts, and see how much progress you are making! Keep us updated and we'll give you all the support we can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! That's not easy. But yes, it's so much easier to be active now that the weather's warmer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck & you can definitely do this!! It seems a lot of us are in the same boat, so you're in good company :) For me, it's as simple as, "if it's white, I don't want it" LOL! As in sugar, potatoes, rice, flour....I can only imagine what some of the racier brains are thinking :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you can help give me a kick in the butt, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you. Just started this week. I just want to feel better and be more agile in bed.

    ReplyDelete